The funniest & finest moments from the weekend in world football
As much as I enjoy reading immediate post-match (over)reactions and player ratings, it would be too much work to summarize multiple matches across 3 different leagues. Instead I have decided to create a weekly post focused on some of the best and worst individual moments of the weekend, along with a few other thoughts highlighting specific performances in a piece called “The Starting XI”. Without further adieu here is the Starting XI
11 random gifs, thoughts and tweets from the latest round of matches
- 1. Neymar had one of his better games in a 3 – 0 Barcelona win over Athletic Bilbao. An in-form Neymar is a nightmare for La Liga defenders
A photo to define a generation. Absurd. pic.twitter.com/ZPIUMpTnZw
— Liam Canning (@LiamPaulCanning) February 4, 2017
2. Speaking of nightmare for defenders Eden Hazard terrorrised Arsenal’s back four in Chelsea’s 3-1 victory. I’ll let you be the judge of which clip is more embarrasing, Mustafi throwing himself to the floor
Lmaoo. Hazard man handling Mustafi pic.twitter.com/t1715AYude
— ㅤ (@VintageUtd) February 4, 2017
- …or Coquelin being shrugged off on route to goal.
— Chelsea GIFs (@ChelseaGIFs) February 4, 2017
- 3. Arsenal losing to Chelsea was somewhat expected and at the end of the season losing away at Stamford Bridge ultimately won’t make or break their season. However, Liverpool losing to relegation-zone Hull is the definition of a shocking result. It seems teams in the Champions League places keep finding new and more amusing ways to try and miss out on that competition.
- 4. Manchester United got a step closer to being in the top four this weekend beating Leicester City 3-0. The real story however is Leicester City being unable to score in their last 5 Premier League games and gaining only 1 point. The reigning champions are really in danger of being relegated and there is a fantastic
- 5. Fantastic work by Ousmane Dembele to set up the only goal in Dortmund’s 1-0 win over the Bundesliga’s least liked team. Dortmund missed many chances to put the game away and Reus and Auba will be especially relieved that RB Leipzig had their last minute equalizer ruled out for offside.
- 6. Monaco are continuing their assault on opposing teams defences. This weekend they beat 3rd place Nice 3 – 0. This brings their total goals scored in Ligue 1 to an astonishing 68!
- 7. Antoine Griezmann missed yet another penalty kick this weekend for his 3rd miss of the season. It’s strange how Griezmann is pretty reliable in a shootout but during regulation maybe it’s time Simeone considered having someone else take them.
- 8.Moussa Dembele getting his hattrick in style
Moussa Dembele finishes awesome Celtic team goal v St Johnstone 🔥 🔥 🔥pic.twitter.com/rSBCDQpsQF
— 101 Great Goals (@101greatgoals) February 6, 2017
- 9. Another game where Man City dominate their opposition, take the lead then have the other team tie it up. Luckily for them Gabriel Jesus flipped the script in a performance that justified Pep’s decision to start him instead of Aguero
- 10. Bayern Munich had an unconvinving 1-1 draw with Schalke but they extended their lead over Leipzig to 4 points.
- 11. Class is permanent
Iker Casillas pulled off an incredible last minute save for FC Porto against Sporting Clube de Portugal last night 🙏pic.twitter.com/wUYicKKZ7Y
— Troll Football Media (@Troll__Footbal) February 5, 2017
NOTE: Be on the lookout this Wednesday I for a piece I wrote about Manchester United winger Anthony Martial!